Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Switch Configuration 4500 3Com

Had some difficulties bringing a 3com 4500 swith into our environment. Thought I would document some lessons learned.

Configured a static IP address and subnet mask from the console. Then I tried to ping from our admin side - no good.

I had a tie cable (cat5) running from our core switch to the 4500. The port at the core switched was tagged and part of both vlans. Removed tie cable and ran a cable to the other switch in the cabinet.

I configured the 4500 to have one port tagged. (note you must make the port a hybrid with the 4500 before you can tag it for the student side. I did this from the web interface. I then tried to tag the port on the default lan and was told the default lan can not be modified.

It turns out you have to modify the default lan via the console.

All now ok.

No comments: