Thursday, February 22, 2007

WMI error retrieving Software List from Remote PC

When I tried to get the software list from a remote PC after switching servers I got the error

"The remote Server machine does not exist or is anavailable: 'Getobject'

Trawling the net I found the following.

With Windows XP2 you need to make an exception to allow WMI to communicate. Instructions below. In my case this was set but I had due to security reasons only allowed our server to make the calls. Changing the IP address from the old to the new fixed my problem.

Allow for remote administration
loadTOCNode(2, 'moreinformation');
1.
Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
2.
Under Console Root, expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand Network, expand Network Connections, expand Windows Firewall, and then click Domain Profile.
3.
Right-click Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception, and then click Properties.
4.
Click Enabled, and then click OK.

No comments: